When it comes to cosmetic procedures, dermal fillers are the second most performed non-invasive procedure worldwide after Botox. Dermal fillers are used to fill up lines and also deal with the volume loss in different areas of the face caused mainly due to aging.
If you want to smoothen your smile lines or deal with crow’s feet or maybe want to plump up lips or cheeks, these fillers deliver exceptional results. Let’s explore what dermal fillers are and then we are going to give some tips that will help your results to last longer and better.
What are Dermal Fillers?
Dermal fillers are injectable in which a gel-like substance is injected into the targeted area. These fillers are FDA approved, hence pose no threat or danger to your body. To maintain the results, you might require follow-ups as per your doctor’s recommendation.
Types of Dermal Fillers
The fillers currently used include Hyaluronic Acid (a naturally occurring sugar found in the body), Calcium Hydroxylapatite (a mineral that is a major component of bone), and Poly-lactic Acid.
Now let’s discuss the dos and don’ts of dermal fillers. First, we will see some suggestions that you should take into consideration before getting the injectable.
Before getting Dermal Fillers
- The most important thing you need to know before getting the fillers are your problem areas. The appearance of lines in one area may be a result of volume loss in the nearby areas. Many think that nasolabial lines are getting deep and insist on filling them but the reason behind these lines could be the loss of volume in the cheeks.
- Choose your doctor wisely. Always select an experienced and licensed practitioner as the hands that are going to perform the procedure matter the most.
- If you are taking any type of medication, even supplements, share it with your practitioner.
- If you have a history of cold sores, inform your doctor as he may prescribe you an antiviral before the procedure to minimize any reaction.
- Educate yourself about the types of fillers being used and also their possible side effects or risks. In case of any unfortunate situation, they will come in handy. Discuss them with your doctor too.
- Stop using any over-the-counter pain killers at least a week before the procedure. These medications can thin the blood which might increase the chances of bruising, bleeding, or cause other complications.
- Do not drink any alcohol 24 hours before the procedure.
- Stop using topical creams as retinol and supplements a week before to avoid the risk of infection, bruising, or skin irritation
- Don’t put on any makeup when you go in for injections.
After getting Fillers
- Strictly adhere to your post-procedure instructions. Any mistake could affect the results of fillers and you wouldn’t want that.
- Keep your expectations real. Be ready for slight bruising and swelling. It could go away in days or a week. but this is nothing to worry about.
- You may use an icepack in the treatment area to reduce the swelling. But don’t apply ice directly, wrap it in a towel and then gently ice the area.
- If after the treatment increased swelling, bruising, or the pain doesn’t go away; contact your doctor just to steer clear of any concerns.
- Keep your body hydrated as fillers ring out better results in a fully hydrated body.
- Do not touch or rub the site of the injection. It could move the fillers inside and distort the results. avoid doing so till 24 hours after the procedure.
- Avoid direct sun exposure or any kind of heat for at least 2 days. Do not go to any sauna, hot tubs, or tanning.
- After getting fillers, avoid exercising for a couple of days. When your exercise the blood flow increases and this could affect the results.
- Avoid wearing makeup for about 24 hours after having the fillers. Give the skin time to heal.
- As you should avoid drinking alcohol before the procedure, similarly do not consume alcohol after getting fillers. Refrain for 48 hours at least.
- Avoid getting any facials and waxing on your face for about a week. This could move the fillers from their place.
Wrapping it up
Dermal fillers are miracle workers. The dos and don’ts can help you improve with better results. but the biggest thing you should DO right away is to book an appointment at Rejuven8 Medical. They provide the best cosmetic services in Sugarland.