Dermal filler is the magic wand, that transforms your old wrinkly skin into a smoother and younger-looking one. If you are one of those many people who are worried about the signs of aging, dermal fillers are your savior. Some people are blessed naturally with smooth skin, and plumper lips, but for others; help is required. In your 30s and 40s, the signs of aging have appeared and many of us start looking into ways to get them treated.
The signs of aging mostly include the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. And to counter these skin damages dermal fillers are the best cosmetic procedure. So, what are these fillers and how do they help address the signs of aging and skin damage? Let’s take a look at it.
What are Dermal Fillers?
It must be surprising that more than 1 million men and women get dermal fillers each year. Isn’t it great!
Dermal fillers are injectable that have a gel-like consistency. They are injected under the skin to restore volume, iron the creases and fine lines, and enhance facial contours. When you age, the skin loses volume and this is one of the main reasons behind the appearance of aging signs on the skin. Tissues of the face get thinner which causes the lines around the nose and mouth to get hollow. When you are injected with a dermal filler, it adds volume, the lines fill up and the skin appears smoother than before.
How do Dermal Fillers work – the procedure?
You can get this procedure from your aesthetician. Always be very careful about the choice of practitioner as the efficiency of the hands that perform the procedure is important.
The procedure starts with cleaning your skin with a lotion and cream along with an anesthetic. This anesthetic numbs the treatment area to make the procedure comfortable. The practitioner then injects measured amounts of filler with help of a tiny needle. You might feel a light tingling sensation at the injection site. Depending on the area being treated the procedure can last anywhere from minutes to hours.
After the procedure
After getting injected there might be some swelling. Your practitioner will provide to with an ice pack to ease the pain. The side effects like bruising, swelling, and pain are mild and temporary. Different factors impact the length of the results. Usually, the dermal fillers’ results last for six months to two years.
Types of Dermal Fillers
The most commonly used type of dermal fillers include:
- Hyaluronic Acid – this acid is found naturally in your skin. its function is to keep the skin hydrated and give it volume. As you age, the body stops making this acid and this is when this dermal filler can be injected to restore the skin. Juvederm and Restylane are 2 very common HA fillers.
- Calcium hydroxylapatite (CaHA) – This substance is found in the bones. These types of fillers are used for deeper wrinkles for example Radiesse. Poly-L-lactic Acid – this acid is responsible for the production of collagen in the body. These types of fillers like Sculptra are also used to smooth out deep wrinkles.
- Polymethylmethacrylate – These types of dermal fillers contain collagen and are used to add volume to the skin.
The choice of dermal fillers depends on different factors. Your practitioner will assess your needs and condition and then recommend a suitable filler.
How to improve the results of Dermal Fillers?
Once you have had the fillers and see what magic they create, you will want these results to last longer. To do so, several things can be done.
- If you had a dermal filler that contains Hyaluronic Acid, drink plenty of water. This will improve their water absorption effect.
- Avoid direct contact with ultraviolet radiation. Always wear sunscreen when you go out.
- Sleep straight on your back to avoid putting pressure on the treated area.
- Consult your aesthetician and set up a skincare routine that will help with the longevity of the results.
- Reduce stress in your life. The hormone responsible for stress can speed up the process of aging and also affects how the body reacts to dermal fillers.
You can also read the blog regarding the Dos and Don’ts of Dermal Fillers for further details.
To sum it up
Dermal fillers have proven remarkably amazing when it comes to addressing the signs of aging and skin damage. Volume loss causes the skin to age and dermal fillers help you not only iron out the fine lines and wrinkles but also help with plumping. The procedure isn’t painful at all. Given you choose an experienced aesthetician and follow his instructions you are going to love your dermal fillers’ results.