We have heard and read about the emphasis of doctors and health experts on the importance of minerals and vitamins for our bodies. One similar and very vital vitamin is Vitamin B-12.
What is the importance of Vitamin B-12?
As per a study conducted, it was found that nearly 90% of people are deficient in Vitamin -12. This multi-beneficial vitamin is responsible for keeping your body’s blood and nerve cells healthy. It also helps to make DNA and genetic material. It also prevents your body from becoming anemic.
A deficiency of vitamin B-12 can lead to serious health issues like:
- Nerve damage
- Weight loss
- Decrease in appetite
- Numbing in hands and feet
What are Vitamin B-12 Injections?
When the human body cannot fulfill the adequate requirement of this vitamin; they make use of supplements like Vitamin B-12 injections. They are shots that contain a synthetic version of vitamin B12 or cyanocobalamin. The shot is injected into the muscle rather than in the veins. The reason is that if it is injected into veins a portion of the shot may pass out of the body through urine.
What are the benefits of B12 Injections?
The B12 shots help you counter the risk of these medical conditions:
- Heart disease such as a stroke
- Neurological disorders
- Loss of vision
- Problems related to memory
- Neural tube defects in newborn people with Vitamin B12 deficiency
What are the Dos and Don’ts of Vitamin B12 Injections?
If you are planning on getting these shots, there are some things you should be familiar with. Let’s take a look at them.
Dos of Vitamin B-12 Injections
- Before the treatment, eat a meal or a small snack. If you are afraid of needles, inform your doctor before the shot as he will take necessary precautions to help you during the procedure and keep you calm.
- Follow your doctor’s instructions about continuing the shots regularly. As per your body’s requirement, your doctor will prescribe you injections and it is your job to follow them timely.
- You must have heard that B12 injections help with weight loss. But it does not directly help with weight loss rather it gives you sufficient energy to motivate you into doing more exercise and working out. This will in turn help you with losing weight.
- Do reschedule an appointment with your doctor if, after the injection, you experience flu-like symptoms or a respiratory infection. Also, if you notice any skin condition changes, contact your doctor.
- Do seek medical attention if you have any rare medical blood condition as you may experience symptoms because of this. The common symptoms include chest pain, weakness on one side of the body, sudden changes in vision, and difficulty in speaking.
- In some cases, the injections may cause low levels of potassium, so if you experience muscle cramps, weakness, or irregular heartbeat; contact your doctor.
Don’ts of Vitamin B12 Injection
- Do not take any painkillers like Aspirin as they also act as blood thinners which may lead to excessive bleeding. Therefore, at least three days before the treatment it is advisable to stop taking these substances.
- Do not worry if you feel a burning sensation at the injection for a few minutes after the injection. This will burn away as the liquid injected settles down.
- Do not worry if you feel itching or swelling all over the body as they will go away after some time. But if this condition persists immediately contact your doctor.
What are some risks of B12 Shots?
There are some associated with vitamin B12 injections. You should be aware of them beforehand so that you know when to contact your doctor. The common risks include:
- Pain and redness at the sight of injection
- Diarrhea (mild)
- Swelling in the body
- Itching on the skin that lasts for a short while
Several foods help maintain sufficient levels of Vitamin B12. But some people are not able to meet these levels with their diet and hence require B12 injections. They are extremely helpful and have few risks. All that you need to do is to contact a certified practitioner. After careful examination, he is going to provide you with B12 shots. Just be regular in administering these shots and in no time your body will have an adequate dose of B12.