$7.3 billion was the amount spent on body contouring procedures in the year 2021 alone. Isn’t it fascinating?
There can be multiple reasons why your body begins to accumulate stubborn fat which doesn’t go away. Body contouring procedures help you get in shape, contour your body, and tighten the skin. we will dig further into what parts of the body is it most effective in and what are the possible downsides. But for those of you who are not familiar with body contouring procedures, here is a brief overview.
What is Body Contouring?
It includes medical procedures carried out to reshape your body and bring it into form. It removes the extra bulging skin, eliminates the excess fat, and tightens the skin. These procedures can be both surgical and non-surgical.
How does it work?
Body contouring works by destroying fat cells. While exercising and dieting, the fat cells change their size but in the case of contouring procedures, the cells are destroyed completely. These cells do not grow back or regenerate. The remaining fat cells may increase or decrease in size depending on your lifestyle. The procedure will make you look thinner and bring your body in a shape.
What are the different types of body contouring procedures?
As mentioned earlier, body contouring procedures have both surgical and non-surgical options.
The non-surgical methods include:
- Cryolipolysis – this procedure makes use of extremely cold temperatures to destroy the fat cells; must have heard of Coolsculpting
- Injection lipolysis – involves the use of deoxycholic acid in the targeted fat cells
- Laser lipolysis – this involves the use of the laser to destroy the fat cells
- Radiofrequency lipolysis – this method uses ultrasound waves and heat to destroy the fat cells
The surgical body contouring options include:
- Types of lifts and tucks – these methods involve the removal of fat and excess skin for example tummy tuck, abdominoplasty, facelift, breast lift, etc
Where is body contouring more effective?
The effectiveness, incredible results, and ability to treat various body areas, have made body contouring procedures increasingly popular. One of the best things about body contouring is that it can treat and reduce fat from various body parts. These procedures can be used to treat different body areas which include
- Upper arms
- Underneath the chin
The surgical body contouring procedures remove the extra skin along with excess fat. When you have gone through weight loss, the fat disappears but the skin of that part becomes saggy and loose. Body contouring helps to treat that skin and also helps you improve the saggy and wrinkled skin that comes naturally as you age.
What are the advantages of body contouring?
The mighty benefits of body contouring procedures include:
- If you are afraid of surgery you can always go for non-surgical and non-invasive contouring options.
- The results are noticeable and last for longer. The results from surgery are also immediate.
- The results are that you have a more defined and well-shaped body. You get rid of all the excess fat and get tightened skin.
What are the downsides of body contouring?
There isn’t any medical procedure that doesn’t have any side effects or downside. There is always some risk associated. The same is the case with body contouring procedures. We are now going to look at some possible downsides of these procedures.
- Risk of asymmetry – there are chances that both sides of the same area might not turn out to be in perfect symmetry.
- The surgical options for body contouring can be heavy on the pocket. But once done, the contoured body is there to stay.
- The results take some time to show. To see the best results, it may take up to six months.
- Not suitable for weight loss – body contouring is not a weight loss solution. The contouring procedures are only meant to treat the excess fat in the bulging areas which are impossible to be treated through diet and exercise.
- There are some possible side effects such as temporary redness, bruising, swelling, and reduced sensation in the areas of treatment.
To wrap it up…
Body contouring procedures, both surgical and non-surgical work miracles to reshape your body. The excess skin and fat are eliminated. The procedures are suitable to treat multiple areas of the body including thighs, waistline, upper arms, hips, and other parts as well. Just like any medical procedure, these body contouring methods have their pros and cons. But the best you can do is to minimize the cons by going to an experienced and professional practitioner.